kWeld – fuse2017-07-15
kWeld – firmware update tool2017-08-07
To customers from the U.S., Canada or Mexico: visit our North America reseller here
To Australian customers: visit our local reseller here
To customers in the Czech Republic: visit our local reseller here
New design featuring C14500 (tellurium copper) CNC’ed electrode system for better heat handling capacity and improved handling:
The assembly and operating manuals are available on this website for download (https://www.keenlab.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/kWeld-assembly-manual-r5.0.pdf – https://www.keenlab.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/kWeld-operation-manual-r3.0.pdf). Please make sure to study them carefully in order to ensure safe and reliable operation.
Checkout this independent review and comparison: https://cellsaviors.com/blog/best-spot-welders
Purchase this item if you want to receive everything that is needed to build a kWeld unit. Complete the kit using basic tools, add a suitable power source, and start welding.
If you want to source some parts from e.g. your local hardware store, then this article may not give you the necessary flexibility and options; in this case, you can order the individual components from the shop instead, and use the description below for an overview of what is needed to build a complete kit.
The kit includes:
|This is the brain of the kWeld battery spot welder. You purchase a professionally reflow soldered, tested and programmed electronic module. See https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kweld-electronics/ for more details.
|Cables, electrode holders, and electrodes
|All bits and pieces that are required to fully assemble the kWeld cabling, including a pair of electrode holders and a pair of electrodes. (See https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kweld-cable-electrode-holders/ and https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kweld-electrode-set/ for details.) The power input connection consists of loose cable ends, you need to add a connector that matches your power source. Suitable XT150 power connectors are available in the shop.
Choose the supplied loose option if you have the time and tools do do the necessary assembly steps yourself, saving some money. Check out the assembly manual for an overview of the involved work. If you are in doubt, choose the assembled option here.
|A 300A high current fuse (type ANL) that needs to be mounted on the kWeld electronic module and protects the system from the consequences of unlikely catastrophic failures.
|The pulse trigger switch of the kWeld system. It has a rugged construction, and uses a real micro switch that is also easy to service. The cable length is 2.0m.
|CNC machined bus bars
|These need to be bolted to the electronics module and provide a low impedance path between the switch transistors and the cable system.
|All bits and pieces that are required to fully assemble the kWeld electronics module with the LCD, the cabling, the fuse, and the bus bars. See https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kweld-mechanical-parts/ for more details.
Please note that a power supply is not part of the kit. The following high current power supplies have been tested with the kWeld system and can be recommended:
- Turnigy nano-tech 3S/5000mAh/130C Lithium Polymer battery (link). I have stress tested one of them for several complete discharge cycles, and it shows no visible swell thereafter. The measured current is 1300-1500 amperes.
- Turnigy graphene 3S/6000mAh/65C Lithium Polymer battery (link). These do not show any swell after a few full power discharge cycles, but I have no data on their life span yet. The current level is comparable with the nano-tech model.
- Turnigy Nano-Tech Plus 3S/5000mAh/70C Lithium Polymer battery (link), calibrates at around 1500 amps (fully charged).
- Turnigy Graphene Panther 3S/5000mAh/75C Lithium Polymer battery (link), calibrates at around 1600 amps (fully charged).
- Ultracell UXL65-12 (link). According to feedback from a user, the current reported by kWeld is approx 1000A when tested with 0.15mm nickel strips.
- Bosch SMT 31-100. According to feedback from a user, the welding current reported by kWeld is approx 1400A.
- Varta model 577 400 078 (link). According to feedback from a user, the welding current reported by kWeld is 1400 to 1600A.
- Varta model 574 012 068 (link). According to feedback from a user, the calibration current reported by kWeld is 1600A.
- Varta model 560 901 068 (link). According to feedback from a user, the calibration current reported by kWeld is 1700A.
- The power supply must be able to deliver at least 800A (recommended: at least 1000A) to ensure proper functionality of the device.
IMPORTANT: Lithium Polymer batteries are potentially dangerous. If they fail internally, they can spontaneously self-ignite. It is therefore strongly advised to permanently supervise them during use and also while charging them, and to store them in a fire safe container when not using them.
You are dealing with very high energy levels when using this system, which may result in personal injury or fire when handled improperly. Take appropriate safety measures and use this system with caution. Never leave it unattended while being powered.
This product contains small parts, keep out of reach of children!
This system produces significant magnet fields, do not use it when you have a cardiac pacemaker!
This kit is provided as is without any guarantees or warranty, except where obliged by national law. In association with the product, www.keenlab.de makes no warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, of title, or of noninfringement of third party rights. Use of the kit by a user is at the user’s risk.
In no event shall www.keenlab.de be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special, or consequential damages whatsoever arising out of or connected with the use or misuse of any product purchased herein. You agree and acknowledge that any product purchased should be used at your own risk and you should assess the risks before purchasing any product or using any product. You agree that in the event that www.keenlab.de is deemed liable for any harm caused, the amount which it shall be liable to you shall be limited to the cost of the product.
NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A SPECIFIC PURPOSE, THE PRODUCTS TO WHICH THE INFORMATION MENTIONS MAY BE USED WITHOUT INFRINGING THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF OTHERS, OR OF ANY OTHER NATURE ARE MADE WITH RESPECT TO INFORMATION OR THE PRODUCT TO WHICH INFORMATION MENTIONS. IN NO CASE SHALL THE INFORMATION BE CONSIDERED A PART OF OUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE.
|20 × 20 × 15 cm
cables supplied loose, cables assembled